Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Hard Knocks Economy

So it's getting down to the wire. Tonight is one of two debates left, (not that a debate will make or break a candidate, at least it hasn’t historically). While I do find this to be the most gruesome and fascinating blood sport it's also scaring me. I'm not sure people really understand what's riding on this. At some point I'd like to have my own business, and that ain't gonna happen when the economy is crippled. How will I be able to take care of my parents and send my kids through school, given I'm not even married, but some day (I may be…some very far off day). It's not fair that people like me who work hard and at some points have taken on a second job to just pay rent, have to put our dreams on hold because of these things.

What the hell is with the bailout plan by the way? I'm no economic guru but it doesn't seem like a great idea. It seems to be a day late and dollar short to bail out CEOs on Wall Street. Perhaps I don't have a great handle on this, but that is because the pros of this plan have not been clearly conveyed. Seems to me Mr. Bush broke the bank and created a funnel, bringing down the economies of our neighbors and allies with us. If you break the great American Bank and then go on to break the World Bank, won't that not only divide Americans into two classes, but actually further injure economies that are so reliant on our own? My personal instincts say "bad idea"; however, I never worked on Wall Street and I've never really worked in finance so hopefully I'm wrong.

I do however feel this happened because of deregulation of business and banks (which I do blame the current administration for). Can I just ask why people voted for someone who ran every business he touched into the ground? Why would you think that was a good idea? Given, it's in the past now, but the climate is more serious than a heart attack. Please pay attention tonight, please listen and vote. I cannot stress how important this is. All of our dreams are riding on this one. If it doesn't pan out I'm going to have move to Canada!

1 comment:

JAL said...

And have you been hearing the talk about McCain's proposal for taxing medical insurance? I really think that should be getting talked up more, that whole plan of his scares the hell out of me. It should be scaring everyone!